PhD, University of Alberta (1999)
MA, University of Alaska Fairbanks (1996)
BA, Mercyhurst College (1989)
Cultural and Economic Anthropology
Arctic Sustainable Development
Indigenous Subsistence Economies
AREC 220: History of Indigenous Agriculture in Canada
RRM 312: Indigenous Peoples and Natural Resource Management
Other Positions Held
- Canadian Representative to the Arctic International Science Committee – Social and Human Working Group https://iasc.info/working-groups/social-human
- Canadian Representative to the Social, Economic, Cultural Export Group (SECEG), Sustainable Development Working Group, Arctic Council https://sdwg.org/what-we-do/experts/social-economic-and-cultural-expert-group/
- Thematic Lead, Northern Food Security. University of the Arctic https://www.uarctic.org/organization/thematic-networks/northern-food-security/AllRelated
- Natcher, David C. and Shawn Ingram, 2021. A Nexus Approach to Water, Energy and Food Security in Northern Canada. Arctic (in press).
- Natcher, David C., Shawn Ingram, Ana-Maria Bogdan and Abigael Rice, 2021. Conservation and Indigenous Subsistence Hunting in the Peace River Region of Canada. Human Ecology (in press).
- Natcher, David C. and Nicholas Brunet, 2020. Indigenous Community-Based Monitory: Cooperation or Cooptation. The Extractive Industries and Society, 7: 1279-1282 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exis.2020.10.005
- Natcher, David C., Shawn Ingram, Nic Brunet and Ana-Maria Bogdan, 2020. Accounting for Intracultural Variability in First Nation Environmental Knowledge: A Requisite for Environmental Monitoring and Impact Assessments. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 85: 106465 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2020.106465
- Yang, Yang, Jill Hobbs and David C. Natcher, 2020. The Arctic as a Food Producing Region: Consumer Perceptions and Market Segments. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics https://doi.org/10.1111/cjag.12255
- Natcher, David, Nic Brunet, Ana-Maria Bogdan and Devan Tchir, 2020. Seeking Indigenous Consensus on the Impacts of Oil Sands Development in Alberta, Canada. The Extractive Industries and Societ, 7: 1330-1337 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exis.2020.06.013
- Reed, Graeme, Nic Brunet, Sheri Longboat and David Natcher, 2020. Are Indigenous Guardians an Emerging Approach to Indigenous Environmental Governance? Conservation Biology https://doi.org/10.1111/cobi.13532
- Brunet, Nic, Jardin, Tim, Jones, Paul, McDermid, Findlay, Reed, Graeme, Bogdan, Ana-Maria, Tchir, Devan and Natcher, David, 2020. Indigenous Community-Led Monitoring of Fish in the Oil Sands Region of Canada: Lessons at the Intersection of Cultural Consensus and Fish Science. The Extractive Industries and Society, 7: 1319-1329 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exis.2020.06.014.
- Reed, Graeme, Nic Brunet, David Natcher, 2020. Can Indigenous Community-based Monitoring Act as a Tool for Sustainable Self-determination? The Extractive Industries and Society, 7 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exis.2020.04.006.
- Natcher, David C., Ana Maria Bogdan, Angela Lieverse and Kent Spiers, 2020. Gender and Arctic Climate Change Science in Canada. Palgrave Communications, 6(32) https://doi.org/10.1057/s41599-020-0407-6
- Mirzaei, O, Natcher, D. C., and Micheels, E. T. 2020. Estimating the Regional Economic Impacts of First Nation Spending in Saskatchewan, Canada. The Review of Regional Studies, 50: 53-69.
- Yang, Yang, Jill Hobbs and David C. Natcher, 2020. Assessing Consumer Willingness to Pay for Arctic Food Products. Food Policy https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2020.101846
- Watson, Annette and David C. Natcher, 2020. Meaningfully Engaging Communities. In Carl Markon et al. (eds), Drivers of Landscape Change in the Northwest Boreal Region. University of Alaska Press: 87-98.